Think you know how to wash your hair? Think again! Here are five common mistakes we make when shampooing.
- Washing your hair every day is generally too much. Every other day or twice a week should be enough.
- Ideally, you should switch shampoos every couple of months to prevent the buildup of ingredients, especially silicones and once a month use a clarifying shampoo to rid your hair of product buildup.
- Always shampoo twice. The first shampoo prepares your hair for the second shampoo which is when you really clean the scalp and cleanse the lengths.
- Be gentle. Avoid damaging your hair by massaging shampoo onto your scalp with your fingertips rather than your fingernails or palms.
- Water temperature. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Piping hot water dries out your scalp and strips your hair of colour.